Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Monday, January 30, 2017

Getting back into the groove

(Left) Little Red Riding Hood
(Right) Traditional Ukrainian Beauty
Watercolors on Paper
by Dawn Star Wood
Having been pulling myself out of a 2, almost 3 year long bough of depression which affected the quality of my work and the amount of things I had produced, the Black & White show (hosted by the Allied Ceramic Arts Institute) was my first statement of "Hey, I'm still alive and I'm ready to take life by the horns". I had let so many possibilities and opportunities pass me by but I was not about to miss any more. With the reminder to myself that I need to take care of myself first, I have been striving to become healthier and also reclaim what I have lost. 

What is the plan? 

Gathering Good Luck
Watercolors on Paper
By Dawn Star Wood
- Used as entry possibility for the EGFAC Fine Arts Competition
First off, I know that even the best laid out plans may not end up going quite the way you expect. So with this in mind, I have to remind myself to be flexible. The Black & White show was to just getting my feet wet but certainly the first steps that I'm taking in the direction that I'm wanting to be in. The second step was entering into a local Fine Arts competition. The Elk Grove Fine Arts Center is currently having a Call to Artists to enter with the cut off being February 4th. After having seeking out advice from several friends who all encouraged me to do so, I entered and am now keeping my fingers crossed that I will be accepted into it. There is another Call to Artists being put on for a competition hosted by Pence Gallery in Davis, California with a cut off date of February 5th but with it requiring 10 to 25 image examples of work that you have produced within the last 5 years, I decided it best to not apply for that one. Though I would have loved the chance to try, I do not have enough work on hand that I could confidentially use as possible entries for it. 

Mind you that this does not mean that I will be giving up on entering future competitions. Not in the slightest. Actually that comes to the second goal I have made for myself which is to produce more quality work and discover more competitions that I could attempt to get into while also providing the same quality to my customers. Would also like to try to be a part of more shows in the coming months but I need to remind myself that I need to pace myself in order not to burn myself out. So I must remember to breathe, eat healthier, and take breaks instead of constantly pushing myself into exhaustion to work on things.

Yup. Taking each day at a time but it's wonderful to discover the drive and hunger to create once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment