Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Poe at the movies

I have been meaning to post about this particular movie that would seem has already been released in the United States and Canada back in April. Dark, horrifying, yet strangely beckoning, the trailer makes the movie appear as the perfect film for Edgar Allan Poe's work. Not much into horror or thriller films myself, I was more captivated by the costuming that they showed. I was happy to see that the clothing, environment, and weapons are of the period in which the film is set in. Just with a quick look through the trailer, I noticed that they even paid attention to how mass produced 'books' during the time period had more of the appearance of pamphlets.



(Sorry but had to find a new link since the one I have posted no longer exists. Here is a new link to the movie trailer:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeLrtwniqM4  )

Trying to look up some information on the movie to see if I could out a little bit more, I was surprised that there was an article about it on smithsonianmag.com titled Edgar Allan Poe: Hollywood's favorite Mad Genius. What's nice is that they reference a few other films that were created in the past based off of his writings such as The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1967) which is a German adaptation of The Pit and the Pendulum. The article goes on to talk about the history of how Poe's writings influenced other films and novels. It wasn't exactly what I was looking but it was certainly a fascinating to read. Would still would love to find out who was in charge of the costuming and hair for the movie. Would I see this movie? Probably not since such dark thrillers aren't my cup of tea but I do know that there are a few friends who would be interested in seeing it.

1 comment:

  1. I plan on seeing it. I'm a Cusack and Poe fan, so it works for me on many levels. Horror is also a genre of film, fiction and art that I am interested and involved in. My wife also wants to see this very badly! We love the set design and costuming, very nice, dark and appropriate.

    ReplyDelete