Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Friday, March 16, 2012

The Kinkos Chronicles - part 2


Well it's happened... a part 2 to the Kinkos Chronicles. Didn't really see this coming but with the fact that I constantly go there for some of my work to be done, I knew the chances were high and it was only a matter of time that something strange would happen while I was there.

March 15-16, 2012
While waiting for a friend who works at my local Kinkos to go ahead and make copies of my original bookmarks designs (currently working on producing group 3 which is a mythological creatures theme), I was simply leaning against the counter chatting to my boyfriend about our blogs when I make the off handed comment "..See your goal is to get your blog noticed where as mine is to eventually just get free samples of coffee so I can try them out and post blog entries about them". It was a simple comment, mind you, referring to my Coffee Review entry which I had posted earlier in the week.

Going about my business at the cutting station (which was squeaky as all hell), I must have been there for a good half hour trimming bookmarks so I could get them ready for lamination when out of no where a woman approaches me. She preceeds to hand me a post card sized business card as she tells me about this organic coffee her company was trying to sell which included an ingredient called Ganoderma lucidum. On the card itself suggests for me to call a number in order to request a free sample. This woman with her Turkish sounding accent then walks out of the store, not saying anything to anyone else in the store! Keep in mind that I never even saw her while I was first in there so I have no idea what dark and mysterious corner she came from but dear god that took me off guard.




Once home, I decided to check out what this stuff was and come to find out that the "powerful ingredient" that is in this coffee is actually an extract of a powerful mushroom which has been used for medicinal purposes since ancient China. Umm.. okay. I'm all for being organic and such but why put a mushroom extract into coffee? I then took a look at the website of the company this mysterious woman works for and come to find out that it's a world wide company who's main goal is to make people aware of the benefits of said extract and has put it in a variety of coffees, green tea and hot chocolate products. In all honesty I'm having mixed feelings about even attempting to try a free sample. On one hand I wouldn't mind the free sample because, well, it's coffee and it's free. But on the other hand, I'm feeling apprehensive about trying something from a company that it's website itself has it's opening statement in it's About Us section as "Organo Gold is on a mission, spreading the knowledge of Ganoderma to the four corners of the world. By using the cost effective network distribution system to deliver these Ganoderma products, more of every dollar is shared with our growing Organo Gold family world-wide". I'm sorry. Maybe it's just me but I can't help but get an Assassin's Creed vibe mixed with creepy tel-evangelical feel from it which makes me rather uncomfortable.

If my day hadn't already been strange enough, I receive a call while I was at home from Kinkos to let me know that they needed me to come back in with the originals of my bookmarks because there was a problem with the laminations where some of the bookmarks had gotten damaged. Hurrying over, I spoke with my buddy to find out when the laminator went down, some of my bookmarks had gotten damaged in the process. The good news was that he was going to copy and cut out the amount of bookmarks that needed to be replaced himself and that the remainder of my order had been shipped over to their Arden location to finish things up. So even with the delay my things should be done sometime today.

No comments:

Post a Comment